In some circumstances, the Town of Carver may assess a reasonable fee for the production of public records.
Permissible charges include, but are not limited to:
- five cents ($.05) per standard black & white printouts or copies;
- the actual cost for storage devices or materials such as CDs or thumb/flash drives;
- the actual cost for duplication of records not susceptible to ordinary means of reproduction, such as color copies and large format plans;
- postage fees where applicable; and
- fees for employee time required to satisfy a public records request (see "Employee Time Fees" below)
No copying fee will be charged for records provided in electronic form.
Employee Time Fees: A fee may be charged for employee time necessary to identify, locate, and compile the records requested. A fee may also be charged for employee time necessary to review, and, as applicable, segregate and/or redact information exempt from public disclosure. The hourly rate for such fees shall be the hourly rate of the lowest paid employee capable of performing the task, provided however, that this hourly rate shall not exceed $25.00 per hour, unless the Town of Carver has obtained approval of the State Supervisor of Records to charge a higher hourly rate. Depending on the nature of the request, different rates may be charged for different types of work (i.e., a different hourly rate for search time and a different rate for segregation/redaction time).
As of the 2010 Decennial Census, the Town had 11,500 residents. In accordance with 950 CMR 32.07(2)(m)(2), the Town of Carver may assess fees for all employee time, including the first two hours.
Said fee limitations may not apply when a request for records if for a commercial purpose as determined by the Commonwealth's Supervisor of Records.
In certain circumstances, the Town may petition the Supervisor of Public Records for permission to assess fees for employee time at a rate in excess of $25.00.